As I type this, there is one week of school left for the year and my kids are so excited they can't stand it. I too am excited for no more 6:00am wake-ups (at least for the summer!), no more packing lunches and backpacks, no more early bedtimes ("But mom, the sun is still out!"), and no more homework! It's amazing how different the end of this school year is compared to last year.
One year ago today, I was packing up the house and preparing for our move (movers were coming on Wednesday) and the kids were saying their goodbyes to their friends and to the school they had attended for 5 years. I was still having a very hard time saying goodbyes to my friends at the school, the moms who I had worked with for years volunteering, the community group we had grown to love, the friends and staff at a church we will never forget - these people had become our family and I didn't want to leave them!
We were excited to be with David again, (he had taken a job at Auburn University and had to be there in August 2008, so due to circumstances beyond our control we lived apart for 10 months) and to be a family full-time, not just on the weekends when we saw him.
We were excited to move to a college town and to be able to go to college sporting events and just enjoy all the activities that go along with living in a college town.
We were excited to see what God had planned for us in this new season of our lives.
What I wasn't ready for: getting settled in a new house (and unpacking- hadn't I just packed all this stuff up?), making new friends for myself and the kids, going to a new church, and most of all just settling into a new life, again. I was 38 and I was moving for the third time to yet another state and my hope was, "I hope this job is it for David, because I don't want to move us again." That is still my hope and silent prayer that we will be able to stay here for longer than 5 years and really get grounded and be able to call this home!
The year has been very good in lots of ways and in some ways not so good. But hey that's life - no one ever said it was easy but it's always an adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment